Saturday, April 26, 2008

Navajo Tacos

My first taco is called a Navajo Taco .....I learned about and ate these in Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico...these were big camping food for us ..especially the one I am making here with the beans
my sister lived with a Navaho woman for about 11 years just outside of Santa Fe, this is her exact recipe for making these tacos .... even though she took off and we no longer have contact ..I do not dare to change a thing or I know she will will some how know and come kick my ass!!! I see no reason to fuck with perfection anyway....

use 3 cups of self rising flour ...2 tble lard...1/2 cup butter milk and one cup of water...in a food processor put the flour then cut the lard in ..then add the buttermilk and water mixed together and pulse it until you get a nice soft dough that just pulls away from the sides of your bowl ...take it out put it on a floured board and let it sit for at least 30 min ...roll out golf ball sized pieces into about 1/3 of in inche thick circles poke a hole in the center then lay them into hot oil until they puff like the one below and are golden on the other side then flip fry until golden and drain


I am inheriting my husband's camera soon (he is upgrading) so I hope that I can take better pictures ..in the mean time know my bread looks more golden in life

my beans are pintos, cooked with smoked pepper bacon, a Dos Equis and epazote ..I cook them in a Dutch oven (used to use a pressure cooker until it exploded ..not ready to try one again) all day at 250 until they are caramel colored ...(my pintos were at least two shades darker than this picture showed..not sure what I am doing wrong)


top the fry bread with beans ..then add some lettuce, pico de gallo (home made simple just tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, lime, garlic and a little dry oregano no cilantro in this one the oregano goes better with the beans!)



the cheese is fresh buffalo mozzarella mixed with Tillamook sharp cheddar
this is a very good and very economical dish probaby could feed six for about $6


more to come

1 comment:

Jon said...

Great stuff Heid1.
The mozzarella is a nice touch.