Tuesday, April 29, 2008

tacos al carbon


the pictures will hopefully improve now ...at least there is color! (I will figure this out I hope)
My mothers London broil makes a great taco!
we do this recipe when we are together
and I make it when I want to be with her
so I made some tonight because I miss her and wish I was closer
my father is not well
depending on the size of your London broil these are the proportions
you want enough marinade to cover the meat in a zippy bag with all the air pushed out plan on flipping over and over for at least 24 hours ..great camping food because you can freeze the meat then let it thaw in the marinade....
olive oil (1 part)
bourbon (1/2 part)
Worcestershire sauce (1/2 part)
fresh squeezed Key or Mexican limes (1/2 part)
honey or brown sugar (1/2 part)
ginger (lots of fresh grated)
garlic about half dozen
1 minced scotch bonnet peppers (or habaneros)
fresh cracked pepper and a little salt
when you are ready to make it take it out of the fridge pat it dry and let it sit on a rack until your grill heats ...it should be at room temp when you grill it

grill over high heat for 5 min flip 5 min wrap in foil put in indirect heat for 10 min ...off the heat and rest for 15 min

slice as thin as possible or chop it up would be more traditional I guess ..it is so tender it does not matter ...

I garnished my tacos (although to be honest the meat and tortilla are perfect alone )
with fresh avocado, crema, and some tomatillo, jalepeno, lime, onion tossed in the blender to make a quick hot sauce

No comments: